Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Monday, November 10, 2008

Some good news!


Mark just called to say the PA from Dr. Lee's office (neurosurgery) called (Finally!) to say that Mark and Gabby are a match- they are both A positive. Yeah!! They both had blood drawn last week to check to see if Mark could be the donor for the blood transfusion Gabby will likely need during her surgery. I did not realize that as the mother, I cannot give blood to her. I believe they said that babies develop antibodies against their mothers blood in utero(sp?)- something to that effect. So now that Mark matches we don't have to move on to getting our family members tested to find a match.

We were also able to get all the appointments next week on the same day- the 19th now. We are going to meet with Dr. Kaufman, the chief of neurosurgery, to see about doing her surgery. We have decided as long as the plastic surgeon agrees, we will do the surgery in the beginning of January. 2008 has not been the best year for the Danen's and starting with a clean slate sounds good. Also, having things normal around here for Alex for Christmas will be good to. Anyway, by doing it in January, Dr. Lee will be on maternity leave- this is why we are meeting with Dr. Kaufman. Well, that and the fact that the more I thought about it, the more I did not really want an 7+ month pregnant lady operating on Gabby, no matter how good she is. You just never know what can happen.

I am really happy- I found a support group for craniosynostosis. It is called Cappskids. It is a great resource for me. It has been really nice to have a place to go to read about other families stories about their kids who have the same issues that we are dealing with.

So I have to share a neat story that happened right before we went in to meet with the doctor last week. Mark had gone to get a drink of water and I decided to say a little prayer for Gabby and asked Grandpa Danen to be watching over her too. Well, I should back up a little here. The night before Ralph went in for his knee surgery Mark, Alex, and I went out to dinner with Kay and Ralph. On the way home Ralph was making Alex roll with laughter time and time again by saying "Uh Oh, Spagettio's" . For what ever reason, Alex thought it was great and Grandpa Danen kept doing it for him, even after it was getting old. So back to the doctors apt. I realized after I said my prayer and looked to Ralph for some help from above- that I was saying to Gabby over and over was-"Uh Oh, Spagettio's"!! Now, I never say this, and have no other reason for pulling that out at such a time when I was so darn nervous! As Mark walked back in to the room is when I realized what I was saying and I just got goosebumps. So that was Gabby's sign that Grandpa Danen is watching out for her!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Jodi... I still get the goose bumps when you tell that story about my dad and also tears. He is with you all the way on the journey of Gabby. She is in good hands! Great news about the blood match. And, I am so glad you found a support group. It is so nice to talk to other people who are in the same situation as you are. We are praying strong and thinking only positive thoughts..Let me know if you ever need me to take Alex, so you can have some one on one with Gabby. Hugs to you all!

Tricia

mari said...

Jodi!!!!
Your making me cry even though I never knew Ralph Grandpa Danen! Thank you for keeping us up to date with what's happening. Even though I'm not right there, please know that I'm there to hold your hand, or your beer, depending what you need at the time. Seriously, you are in our thoughts, we're just a phone call away. We love you!!
Mari