Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

We have a date


Carol from Children's Hospital called today with the scheduled surgery date- Monday, February 23rd. February! I knew they said it could take 2 months to set up a date, but this is well over 2 months! She said that Dr. Kaufman is really busy and hard to schedule with. I guess the surgery is going to be pretty lenthy and they need to book a whole day for both surgeons so it is tricky. I was a pretty disappointed that it is still so far away, but am ok with it now that I think about it a bit more. She will be 8 months old- almost 9 months. I did question right away if this was to late for the surgery- they said between 6-8 months was the ideal time, and she will be going on 9 months. No one better get sick (doctors included!!). I guess she will be bigger and stronger each day, so maybe this is a good thing. Waiting is just getting old. I cannot stop thinking about this every day and am looking forward to being on the healing side of things rather than the waiting side.
Anyway, Carol said that we will need to go down to Children's about 5 days prior to surgery for a pre-op appointment that will include lab work and checking her out to make sure she is ready for surgery. She said 30 days prior to surgery they will send orders over to the blood bank so that Mark can go in and donate blood for her surgery. Carol said that he is only able to donate 1 unit of blood and we will need 2 units for the surgery. She said we look to family or use the blood bank. I would much rather go with family and am blessed to have a big and very supportive family! I sent an email out with Gabby's info and my sister- in- law called the same afternoon to say my brother- in- law has the same blood type and is willing to donate. That is sooo awesome!
The next thing we have to do is send updated insurance info because our insurance is changing. All I have to say is how thankful I am for insurance! I don't know what we would do without it.

No comments: