Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Friday, January 23, 2009

One more month




Man, does time go slowly when you want something over and done with! One month from now Gabby will be out of surgery and on to recovery. My mom always says that dealing with the pain that comes after a surgery in not nearly as bad as the waiting, anticipation, and actual surgery. Once it is over you can deal with it. I am thinking I agree. I am trying to remember what life was like without worrying about what was wrong with my baby. I was thinking this morning about how upset I was when my oldest son, Alex, had to get glasses. He was about 19 months old. I cried and cried about it. Glasses. Now I can see how ridiculous that was. He is not blind. He can see, just not so great out of one eye and it might get better. During that whole ordeal, a nurse did say to me though that they were checking for cancer because my pediatrician had saw something not quite normal in his pupil or something. So that is all I heard- cancer. Anyway, it was not cancer, just glasses, and I still cried when he put them on for the first time. He is really adorable in them. But anyway, I cannot wait until after the surgery so that I can (hopefully) get back to life as normal.
Today I met with my surgery sponser that I met through the Cappskids organization. Her name is Cindy and she is wonderful! Cindy, if you are reading this- thank you so much for all your information, sharing your family with me, and for being there for support. I truely appreciate it.
I was able to get a better picture of what the surgery entails from a parents standpoint. I got to see pictures of her beautiful baby recovering from his surgery. It will be helpful to be prepared for what Gabby will look like when she is brought out of surgery. I found out that there will be two drains coming out of her head to drain the extra blood and her head will remain all wraped up for 2 or 3 days after the surgery. She will have to have a catheter and she will have the heart monitors on the whole while she is in the hospital as well as an IV. I am really hoping her eyes don't both swell shut as that is what the doctors say the babies get really pissed about. It would be scary for her if she wakes up and cannot see. With having the orbital advancement done though, she is most probably going to swell shut in both eyes and bruise as well. I hope that at least her other eye won't be swollen.

So as for more positive info Gabby is soooo close to crawling! She rocks back and forth, back and forth and rabbit hops her back legs forward, and then procceds to fall flat on her face. Today she rocked and started picking her arm up in the air- so she is begining to get that she needs to pick up her arms to move. She smiles all day and loves to watch her big brother. Alex can get her rolling with laughter without really doing to much- he loves that!

So our next step is on Monday to call and get Mark and Tricia's appointments made at the blood bank (now that our 30 days is up). I got a letter in the mail today confirming her surgery date and has her pre-op appointment scheduled for Feb. 19th. Let's hope she stays healthy- no cold's, coughs, or fevers!!




2 comments:

Cole Twins said...

Jodi~ It was so nice meeting you. I am so glad to have gotten the chance to "sponsor" you and your family for Gabby's surgery. Please know that I am here for you day or night. I know first hand - or 3 - how hard it is to wait for surgery to get here. If there is anything I can do to make your wait a little less painfull, please let me know.

Melissa said...

I know this next month will be so hard for you, but everything will go just fine! We're still planning on driving down to visit you guys afterwards if you want, so I'm sure that will brighten your day greatly. :)