Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy New Year!

The Blizzard that left us with 14'' of snow

I cannot believe how quickly time passes. Last time I wrote was in October. That seems like forever ago already! Some great things are going on in the Craniosynostosis area. The CAPPS people are working really hard at getting the word out about craniosynostosis and also distributing brochures to pediatricians through out the country to better educate themselves and their patients on what Craniosynostosis is. I find myself "head picking" lots of kids these days. I have not gotten up the courage to actually say anything about the things I see, so I don't know if that is good or bad. There are just some things you can see on little heads of some kids that really look like they fall into one of the Cranio area's, but if the parent doesn't seem to notice, who am I to say? Each time I see that (which has not been that often) I always say a little prayer that I am wrong.

Back in November Gabby ended up getting ear tubes placed. It was the easiest thing ever. The whole process, once she got to the OR, was probably 10 minutes tops. I wish we would have done it sooner. Our ENT (whom I have to say is wonderful!) said that she had this paste like fluid behind both ear drums and that he had a hard time suctioning it out. Pleasant, I know. She had a hearing test done prior to the surgery and was a bit below where she should have been. The hearing test was repeated several weeks after the surgery and she was hearing perfectly! Yeah! I have to say her speech picked up a lot once she could hear better. Anyone who knows her knows that she is very chatty and always has been, but now we get to hear lots of words in there too:)
She finally has enough hair for pigtails! YEAH!

Christmas was exciting this year. Alex is now 3 1/2 and was totally into Santa. I may have been just as excited about Christmas as he was this year! Seeing it through the eyes of a child is simply irreplaceable. It was so fun watching them open all their toys and seeing the excitement in Alex's eyes when he realized Santa had brought him exactly what he has asked for- a CD player and a snow ball maker. Yup, a snowball maker. The funny thing is that is actually works really good!


Beat after a morning of gift opening!

Mark and I were really lucky this year to be able to get out of town for 4 nights the week before Christmas. We headed down to sunny Mexico with 14 friends. It was great to get to hang out with friends we really don't get to see that often. It was also fun to spend uninterrupted time with those friends that we do see. We had a blast and it was nice having a tan for Christmas! A big thank you goes out to Mark's sisters for helping us out and watching the kids!!



There has been some news that has caused lots of worry in my family, but I am sure is just another blessing in disguise. My sister is expecting my nephew, Owen, in February. They have found out that he has skeletal dysplasia. It has been challenging news, but Owen has been blessed with a wonderful mother and father and a huge family here to help him along the way. Please keep them all in your prayers. My sister just started a blog about their journey. If you would like to follow Owen on his journey you can find them at http://owensabor.blogspot.com.

That's all for now! Enjoy the photos!

Covered in applesauce

Our princess:)

1 comment:

Cole Twins said...

Hey Jodi!
I am so sorry to hear about your sister and your soon to be nephew! I cant even imagine!! I will cetrainly keep them in my prayers and would love to follow their story. Thanks for adding the website!!

I am glad to see that Santa was good to you guys this Christmas!! Your kiddos are super cute and Gabby looks FANTASTIC!!!