Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Before and After





I cannot believe it has been a whole month since Gabby's surgery already! It seems like it was forever ago, and also like it was yesterday -if that makes sense. I am just amazed at how quickly she is recovering. Over the weekend Gabby had a bit of the flu and was sick, but only for a day. She also had what I thought looked like the start of an infection on her insicion. I spoke with Dr. Jensen's NP and she said it was likely her body rejecting a stich that was deep in her skalp. It did go away quickly and was not a big deal.

The bills have started rolling in and we are again reminded how blessed we are to have good insurance!! As an example of some of the charges- there are 12 screws in Gabby's head- they cost $8,000. I thank God that the technology is there to help us, but also am thankful we don't have to try to come up with all of the money to cover the cost of this very expensive surgery. I guess we got our moneys worth out of a lifetime of insurance payments- to say the least.

On a bright note- Gabby's hair is growing in much quicker than I expected. She is finally starting to have a little hair! I cannot wait to put pony's in:) She is sleeping a bit better and is out of the swing and back to her crib. She is still not sleeping as good as she once had, but I also am expecting some teeth to finally poke through one of these days!

I am finally getting around to posting before and after photos. I was waiting for some of the swelling to go down. I think most of it must be gone, though she does wake up with big bags under her eyes that I wonder if it is fluid- or she is sleeping poorly... Anyway, this is actually the first time I have looked at the photos together and I am amazed. Wow. I guess before the surgery I really did not notice how much of a difference there even COULD be. This really makes me even more confident about our decision to go through with the surgery. She just looks great, and her brain has to have so much more room to grow and thrive! You are a trooper Gabby!! I love you!!!









2 comments:

Sara said...

She's as beautiful as ever! Thanks for posting the pictures of your little sweetie!

KVN said...

I completly agree!