Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter!




This Easter was such a great day! We had everything behind us, it was sunny and bright out, and Gabby was back to her beautiful shining self! This past week has gone pretty smoothly. Alex had a really high fever during the middle of the week and then had the flu. He was not sleeping well and that made things with Gabby a bit more challenging, since both of them were not sleeping! We got through that and Gabby has been sleeping pretty good-in the swing still. I will try again tonight maybe to see if she will lay her head on the side yet. I can still see the stitches sticking out and I would imagine they poke her when she lays on them.

The swelling continues to go down. Yesterday morning I saw a small bump on the left side of her forehead and for a second freaked out, and then remembered Dr. Jensen saying that we would start to see where the screws and plates were in her head. I am thinking that it is a screw I am seeing. We see Dr. Jensen on Thursday so I can find out then. Last Thursday I did end up paging Dr. Jensen after Gabby for like the 2nd or 3rd day was refusing to nurse or take a bottle. She was eating food like a champ, but not wanting anything to do with liquids. He had us stop the antibiotic a day early to see if that would help with her appetite. Fortunately, she did not have any of the signs of dehydration. Stopping the antibiotic seemed to help because by Saturday she was back to eating. The added benefit was that she was taking that antibiotic 4x/day and HATED it. She wanted nothing to do with taking it and it was really hard to get in her. For the past 2 days or so she has actually not even been on Tylenol. It is really amazing that a baby can go through so much, and not need any thing for pain just a few days later! Her incision is healing really nicely. Her hair is already starting to grow back where they shaved it too. She will probably have a funky do for a little while with the different hair lengths, but oh well:)

My plan for this blog it to keep it updated with Gabby's appointments she has in the future- after this week then at 3 months and then a year post op. I hope to God that she will NEVER require any further surgeries, but only time will tell. I may use this blog just to keep updates on what is going on in our household and lives. It really has been a great place for me to keep track of what was going on and how I was feeling about it. I hope someday Gabby can look back to see what a journey her first year of life turned out to be and how strong she was! So stay tuned...

No comments: