Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Monday, April 6, 2009

First Day Home

Gabby with her Godmother, Megan -taken just a few hours ago!
Happy to be going home!

All smiles :)

Well, we made it (so far) through our first day home. Gabby had some rough times last night. She went to bed ok last night, but then woke up at about 8:00 pm and was up until about 1:00 am. She was tired, but just could not give over to sleep. She is supposed to sleep on her back with the bed elevated. Easy said. She is a belly sleeper and HATES not being able to just flip over and snuggle up. Dr. Jensen said it was ok for her to do so, but she tries to lay her head that way and picks it up and cries and then tries the other side and cries. She is miserable sleeping. I even tried putting her up on a pillow in bed with me thinking that for sure now she would sleep- nope, she just pulled my hair. She finally fell asleep at 1:00, but then woke up every half hour. At 5:30 am Mark put her in the car and drove her for several hours- she slept then. I took her for a drive for her next nap and she slept great. Mark went out and bought a swing today and she went to sleep easily tonight in that. I did just go in and the dumb swing had stopped and she was awake. Ugh. We need some sleep around here!! Hopefully she will sleep good tonight. She needs it!

The swelling continues to go down. I got to give her a bath today and was able to pour water over her head to help loosen some of the dried blood. She loves the tub so she liked this a lot! Other that the sleep issues, she is playing really good and smiling and talking all the time. She does get cranky easily which is unusual for her, but I guess if I had gone through what she has I would be cranky too!

Alex was really happy to see us yesterday! We missed him so much! He certainly had a busy week. He spent the first night with my sister in law Linda and then my other sister in law, Mary, came to stay at our house with him until my parents came back from Milwaukee on Friday. Then he went to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Thankfully he loves being spoiled and likes spending the night at Linda's and Grandma's so he was just fine.

We came home to a warm welcome yesterday. My sister Mandy had come over and hung streamers and balloons in the kitchen and also had a plate of cookies and dinner in the fridge. It was great!

I didn't realize how nervous I would be about her crawling around the house. Everything I see is now a hazard. She even just pulled herself up by the couch and plopped down on her butt and started crying. I guess maybe it hurt her head to plop so hard. We really need to so some serious heavy duty baby proofing so that I can relax a little. Also, a few more days to pass to get used to her moving around and for her to heal more.

Got to go get Alex to bed and make sure Gabby fell back to sleep. At least she looks really cozy in that swing:)

2 comments:

Cole Twins said...

Glad to hear that you are home!! She looks wonderful! Things might be a bit scary for her too. Remember she has had no activity of her own for a few days.

I am sure doctor Jensen told you, but she can't hurt her head/skull. It will be the incision that is what will hurt her.

If there is anything I can do to help, or you just need to chat with someone who has been there, please dont hesitate!!

Glad you guys are home! Try to get some rest!

Lisa L said...

I was going to suggest a swing. They always seem to like that and then she's elevated and on her back like the doc said. It IS hard when you are used to sleeping a certain way but can't. Poor sweetie!