Gabby's Journey Through Craniosynostosis

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Resting

Last night


This morning

Eyes open this morning

Eyes swollen shut a couple hours later :(


I got to hold Gabby this afternoon for a while longer. It is an interesting thing to attempt with all the tubes and cords and stuff- and most of it has already been removed! Her catheter was taken out this morning without much discomfort. The tape they used to tape it to her leg was the worst part. The took her arterial line out of her arm. This was a little more painful for her, but not to bad. They did it when I was holding her the first time this morning. Then once we got to the 5th floor they took the electrodes all off- I think there were 4 of them. These did leave some welts in her skin- maybe she was having a reaction to them. I am absolutely dreading them taking the drain tubes out. I have been warned by other mama's who have gone through this that this part is not to fun. But on the bright side- it will be a lot easier to hold her with out them! We are all taking turns rubbing her legs and arms when she stirs and have her CD's playing. She seems to like the music.

Last night singing to her seemed to calm her quickly so I got to practice my Twinkle Twinkle a lot! I hope the nurses couldn't hear me- I really cannot sing- Gabby doesn't care though! Writing about the nurses made me remember one cool thing that the PICU had. They had a camera in the ceiling watching her at all times. I thought this was pretty reassuring for sure! There was no sleep for me last night. I stayed with Gabby in her room. It was one loud place to be. Mark was able to go down to one of the parents rooms that are set aside for the the PICU which is just a room with a bed in it, but is was somewhere quite to sleep. We were still not able to get into the Ronald McDonald house. That must be one busy place. I plan to stay here with Gabby and Mark is not sure yet. We were going to see if they can bring in a cot or something. We will see. Hopefully Gabby will continue to sleep well and keeps the pain down. The nurse said that her eyes will probably stay swollen for 2-3 days. Hopefully they won't last that long. I was told this would most probably happen and thought I was prepared for it, but I wasn't. It really sucks.

3 comments:

Pam said...

God Bless you Jodi! What a trying time for all of you. Wishing you a little rest this evening & praying for your family.

Moira said...

Thank goodness Gabby made it through! Our thoughts and prayers are with you... you are one strong mom!

Lisa L said...

Lord, wrap your arms around Gabby, bring her peace and contentment. Heal her wounds quickly and comfort her momma and daddy during this time.

Lisa Lemirand